Skip to content

Posts tagged ‘YSS’

10
Nov

Picture of my KZ650 so far.

I need to keep working at it until it’s done. ¬†However here it is at the moment.

IMG_6545

IMG_6544

12
May

More progress on the Z650

So an update on progress which has been up and down.

I didn’t fancy trying to fit the shock and new linkage myself so I booked it in at the local motorbike shop 100m away. They fitted it and it went well apart from the top linkage bolt size. The bolt is too small for the shock and due to the way the frame is braced they couldn’t just make a bigger hole. It looks ace in place though!

IMG_6222
IMG_6225

I went to an amazing local engineering shop to get them to make up a reducer for me. It was pure old school engineering no cnc stuff that I could see.

IMG_6227

I then put the bike through another MOT which is failed again. ARRRGH! This time it was the front shocks which were misting slightly before are now leaking badly. Also the rear lights were an issue as the number plate light was too bright and caused problems.

So I started taking the front end apart to remove the shocks

IMG_6258

IMG_6262

Which is where I got stuck as I don’t have the correct tool to remove the front axle. I’ve got one side but not the other. I’ve ordered the tool which should be here this week.

I decided this was a good opportunity to move the key location so that I can tidy up the speedo area. I created a bracket to mount the key under the tank. Which I thought came out nice in the end.

IMG_6259

IMG_6261

Next I wanted to remove the old key hole to allow me to make a new speedo bracket.

IMG_6263

IMG_6264

IMG_6266

IMG_6268

IMG_6269

It all is much tidier now and closer to my face.

Next up on the jobs I could do before tools arrive was to clean up the front brakes. As fork oil had leaked onto the pads and discs. I thought about cleaning the pads off, but decided it was far safer to replace them.

IMG_6270

IMG_6271

Finally I realised that the number plate light is not a legal requirement in the uk so it could go. This meant I could redo the rear bracket and make it simpler.

IMG_6277

So I’m stuck waiting for tools before I can finally get it on the road. Fingers crossed the forks will be sorted this week.

28
Mar

Fixes and more fixes

Well after the disaster of the MOT test I had lots to deal with. Most of it was minor, but some required thought and planning. The key issues are as follows:

1. The Rear shock linkage is terrible and needs doing correctly
2. The shock itself is old and knackered
3. The front mudguard is not one for this bike and isn’t secured correctly.
4. The rear light is playing up.
5. The brake torque arm is attached by a bolt not giving it movement
6. Footrest are insecure.

Just a few jobs then. I’ve got to work on these in turn.

1. The shock linkage was replaced at some point with sheet metal instead of the correct dogbones. I’ve got a second hand shock linkage from eBay which will need fitting. You can see the issue below. I didn’t catch it as I didn’t look under the bike right there. It’s passed mot’s before which is worrying!

IMG_5860

2. The shock is very old now and finding a better alternative was the best plan. I’ve search around to find a suitable second hand alternative, without decent success. So I bit the bullet and ordered a new shock. Its a YSS one and was well priced. They are making it for me now. Once it’s arrived I can fit it and the dogbones.

monoshock-emulsion-c000c2182db957c8e1978bea58057406-pCrypt

3. The mudguard was easy. It can pass the mot without one. So I removed it. I’ve ordered a replacement from Skidmarx. That will arrive in a couple of weeks. In the meantime it looks much cooler without the mudguard!

IMG_5888

4. The rear light was an odd one, I swore it was working, but I was wrong. It’s not lighting up properly. I tried loads of things, but I worked out in the end that the light had broken. Very annoying. I thought about getting a replacement, but my faith in that lasting wasn’t good. So I looked for alternatives. In the end I found a combined indicators/brake/rear light system that is in a tiny cnc strip.

Gallery__89160__77840.1414467347.1280.1280

The seller was in Australia and it arrived in less than a week! I was amazed. I started testing it to make sure it worked.

IMG_5919

As this light sticks to the number plate I also needed a number plate light. I found a tiny cnc number plate light on ebay and had to have it.

$_57

With both of these changes I had to remake the number plate bracket. I’ve spent the last couple of days knocking this up, It needs the light mounting to the number plate, but it’s close to being done.
IMG_5926

5. The bolt was a right bodge job and needed me to source the proper torque bushing. I managed to find a new one which was good. I need to fit it tomorrow.

6. The footrests were using too small a bolt as the eyes of my cnc footpegs were smaller than the originals. I drilled out the the holes and fixed a larger bolt in place. You can also see the new oil cap I found going cheap on ebay.
IMG_5877