Well some forward progress was made on the wiring. I took a couple of days of work to start making real progress. Unfortunately the British weather was well British which slowed things down.
I got out the tarp again to make some form of shelter to work under.
First job was to get the Dyna Coils in place. I had to order some nylon spacers from ebay and sand them down to the right size, but they now fit perfectly.
I also managed to get the battery and M-Unit mounting into place to make sure it would fit. Luckily it did!
Next up I fitted the Dyna S ignition. I’ve not set it up fully yet, but it’s in place.
Other jobs included a new mounting point for a new brake reservoir as the previous one was leaking. I knocked this up in aluminium, Also I had fitted the new switches from Highway dirtybikes. These mount directly onto the brake levers. Sadly the left one doesn’t fit so I had to use a different switch setup from the previous switch setup. It’s still cool looking but I wanted two identical ones instead of similar ones.
I’ve broken the back of the main rewiring, it’s just the final fitting into place of the main loom. I am fed up of seeing and working on cables and connectors now, but it will be worth it.
With a lot of the loom work I tried to merge things together to simplify things and make routes to the main loom easier. Such as this section of front indicators/horn and brake switch.
I’ve had a play with the M-Unit and it’s a great bit of kit.
My final completed job was to make a mounting point for the Motogadget M-Lock. I’ve put it down the side so I can easily get to it. It may move when I finally decide what to do with the side panels. As I think a hidden setup would be best.
Using the key is awesome, I need to get the glass vial fitted to my glove asap.
Not going to get more done this weekend, but hopefully I will get the final wiring done soon as I want to ride it!!
So it was about time I updated this project log. I’ve ridden the bike a few times, but I’ve been suffering constant electrical gremlins. I tried replacing the regulator with a Shindengen SH775 ,but that didn’t fix things. As the weather has been foul I’ve not had a chance to do much work on the bike.
For some time now I’ve wanted to do a complete rewire so finally I said sod it and got started. First off I wanted to do it properly and easily so my first purchase was a Motogadget M-Unit
It’s an amazing bit of kit, it makes life much easier for the rewire. To go with it I’ve order lots more kit that is arriving shortly I hope. In the mean time I started removing the old crap wiring.
The bike looks much cleaner with out all that rubbish hehe
When the rest of the kit arrives I can start planning the next phase. Here’s some of my shopping list:
Dyna S complete coils/ignition kit
Shorai Lithium Battery
New Spark plugs
Loads of wiring bits.
Uni Clamp On Air filters
Well it’s been a bit slow round here. I’ve got a few fun projects to add to the site over the next few weeks. First up though is my first motorbike. I bought it last week and I’m very pleased with it.
It’s a 1978 Kawasaki KZ650, though its far from standard. It’s had the front and rear of a ZXR400 added so has much better handling and braking. It’s also got Ducati monster exhausts for added sound.
I plan on modernising and simplifiying the bike, with the aim of making it more cafe racer styled and losing some of the bulk.
First off I’d like to clean up the bar area as it’s currently got lots on. I’ve a wish list of parts including the following
This will clean up the tired wiring and make the whole thing much more simple.
Next will be a new speedo
This is a tiny digital speedo, that will clean up the bars.
I think with these dream items I can clear the bars up a ton and clean up the current wiring a fair bit.